Oak Lawn Remains Under Excessive Heat Warning
Friday may be the hottest day yet of the oppressive 3-day heat wave. Oak Lawn cooling centers will remain open Friday for those who need to cool off.
Oak Lawn and the Chicago region remain under an excessive heat warning with Friday possibly being the hottest day yet of a record-tying third day of 100-plus degree temperatures.
Friday’s temperatures will range from 100 to 105 degrees, with the heat index soaring late morning/afternoon to 107 to 113 degrees. The National Weather Service’s excessive heat warning remains in effect until 10 p.m. Friday.
The heat wave is expected to break Friday night bringing us from hell to sweltering with 88-degree highs predicted for Saturday, according to the Chicago Weather Center. Temperatures will be in the mid to high 80s through Wednesday, when the mercury hits the 90s again.
Highs are to come close to Chicago's all time record high of 105-degrees set July 24, 1934.
This is the first string of 100-degree plus temperatures that has lasted three days or more since 1947.
The long duration of this heat wave combined with no relief from the oppressive conditions at night may be particularly taxing to anyone without access to air-conditioning. Those susceptible to heat effects should spend at lease several hours each day in the air conditioning to help reduce the accumulative effect and toll the heat will take on your body. (Source: National Weather Service)
Oak Lawn-Area Cooling Centers
Oak Lawn-area cooling centers will remain open on Friday for residents without access to air-conditioning.
If you know someone who needs to get out of the heat or if you have elderly family members and neighbors who aren't on the Internet, tell them they can drop in any time today at these local cooling centers:
- Oak Lawn Senior Center, 5330 W. 95th St., 708-499-0240. Senior center will be open from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Oak Lawn Library, 9227 S. Raymond Ave., 708-422-4990. Library is open from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Oak Lawn Racquet Club, 10444 S. Central Ave., 708-857-2215, open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Oak Lawn Community Pavilion, 9401 S. Oak Park Ave., open from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Worth Township Senior Center, 11601 S. Pulaski Road, Alsip, 708-371-2900, ext. 28. open from 9 a.m. to 4:30 a.m.