Storm Central: Updated School Closings, 7 to 10 Inches Possible
Oak Lawn public and parochial schools announce closings for Tuesday, March 5. Snowfall of up to 10 inches possible.
Tuesday, 1:56 p.m. - The Children's Museum in Oak Lawn will close early at 3 p.m.
Tuesday, 11:04 a.m. - Saint Xavier University is closing at 2 p.m. Tuesday. This includes the Chicago and Orland Park campuses.
Moraine Valley Community College will close at 2 p.m. Tuesday.
St. Gerald's School and extended after school care will be open on Tuesday, but after school activities are canceled. Teams should contact their coaches about practices.
Tuesday, 10:52 a.m. - Richards High School and all Dist. 218 schools will close today at 1 p.m. All after-school activities are postponed Tuesday.
Shepard High School winter sports awards dinner planned for Tuesday is postponed.
All Dist. 218 schools will start one hour later at 9 a.m. Wednesday. Buses will make regular stops but an hour later.
Tuesday, 10:41 a.m. - The following schools have announced closings on Tuesday, March 5, due to heavy forecasted snowfall:
- Dist. 122 -- Columbus-Manor, Kolb, Harnew, Lieb and Simmons Middle School. For school weather updates visit the Dist. 122 website.
- Dist. 123 - Covington Hannum, Hometown, Kolmar and Sward and Oak Lawn-Hometown Middle School. All before and after school activities have also been canceled. For further information or updates, please visit the district website at www.d123.org.
- Dist. 229 - Oak Lawn Community High School. All athletic, school and extracurricular activities canceled until further notice. An updated posting of practice times, contests and events will be posted on the school website at noon Tuesday.
- St. Louis de Montfort School
- Southwest Chicago Christian Schools, including the Oak Lawn campus.
- St. Laurence High School (Burbank), regular start time Tuesday, noon dismisal.
- Brother Rice High School (Chicago)
- Marist High School (Chicago)
- Mother McAuley High School (Chicago)
- Oak Lawn Public Library (closed)
- PARK LAWN SCHOOL - OAK LAWN - (TOMORROW) ADULT DAY PROGRAMS WILL BE OPEN; NO TRANSPORTATION
- PARKLAND PREPARATORY ACADEMY SOUTH - OAK LAWN - (TOMORROW) CLOSED
- Trinity Lutheran Church Pre-school
- St. Paul Lutheran School
- St. Albert the Great School (Burbank); bingo is also canceled for Tuesday.
- PRIDE School
- AERO Special Education (Burbank)
- South Side Baptist School
- Chicago Ridge Dist. 127.5
Monday, 3:51 p.m. -- Three area high schools have already announced plans to close Tuesday ahead of what could be the year's largest snowfall.
The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm warning that is in effect from 3 a.m. to midnight on Tuesday. Light snow is expected tonight and will become heavier Tuesday morning and throughout the day.
We can expect as much as seven to ten inches, according to the forecast. Accumulation could reach one to two inches an hour, making snow removal difficult.
The NWS also reports that winds might reach 25 to 30 mph, increasing the possibility of large snow drifts.
We'll be updating this page throughout the storm.
LIVE WEATHER MAP: Significant Snow Heading Our Way
STAY SAFE: Shoveling Snow? Don't Have a Heart Attack