Storm Downs Trees, Signs, Triple Digit Temps Return
Minor storm damage reported in Oak Lawn on Tuesday. Village cooling centers open Wednesday with returned of triple-digit temps.
Wind gusts of up to 58mph were reported in Brems, IN. The Chicago Weather Center blog reported that the storm traveled 1,000 miles in 19 hours.
Oak Lawn Village Manager Larry Deetjen said there were some trees down and power outages in the village.
“Some portable generators were delivered to medical needs households and ComEd was alerted,” Deetjen said by email.
Readers posted photos of Tuesday' storm damage on the Oak Lawn Patch Facebook page.
The Marquette Bank sign at 104th Street and Cicero Avenue was knocked down by the wind. Downed trees near 108th Street and Kenneth Avenue were also reported.
Triple-digit temperatures are expected to return on Wednesday. The National Weather Service has issued a heat advisory for Oak Lawn and the Chicago region, with 101-degree temperatures in the forecast.
Deetjen said the village’s cooling centers would be open on Wednesday.
Oak Lawn-Area Cooling Centers
You know the drill--Oak Lawn-area cooling centers will be open on Wednesday for residents without access to air-conditioning.
If you know someone who needs to get out of the heat or if you have elderly family members or neighbors who aren't on the Internet, tell them they can drop in any time at these local cooling centers. Better yet, invite them over to your house for dinner.
- Oak Lawn Senior Center, 5330 W. 95th St., 708-499-0240. Senior center will be open from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Oak Lawn Library, 9227 S. Raymond Ave., 708-422-4990. Library is open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday; 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday; 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday.
- Oak Lawn Racquet Club, 10444 S. Central Ave., 708-857-2215, open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Oak Lawn Community Pavilion, 9401 S. Oak Park Ave., open from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Worth Township Senior Center, 11601 S. Pulaski Road, Alsip, 708-371-2900, ext. 28. open from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.