For many area residents Fat Tuesday is not complete without the delectable Polish delicacy known as paczki.
Due to the Chicago area's large Polish population, the fried dough creation has become a staple of the pre-Lenten celebration. Filling and icing varieties make the choices almost unending.
In recent years choices have gotten increasingly gourmet as local bakeries offer unique concoctions like maple bacon and turtle.
For those looking for more traditional paczki the local options are plentiful. Baumann's Bakery in Palos Heights calls Fat Tuesday their busiest day of the year. Last year, the bakery gave customers the choice of 17 different varieties.
The Southtown Star recently visited Witek's Bakery in Palos Hills where an estimated 25,000-plus paczki are expected to be sold.
Here are a few places where you can get your paczki fix. If we left one off, let us know in the comments section.
- Baumann's Bakery, 12246 S. Harlem Ave. in Palos Heights
- Witek's Bakery, 8807 W. 95th St. in Palos Hills
- New Deluxe Bakery, 10731 S. Ridgeland in Chicago Ridge
- Velvet Cake Bakery, 5188 W. 95th St. in Oak Lawn
- Wolf's Bakery_, 3241 W. 95th St. in Evergreen Park
- Naples Bakery, 3705 W. 95th St. in Evergreen Park
- Tuzik’s Bakery_, 4955 W. 95th St. in Oak Lawn
- Orland Park Bakery, 14850 S. LaGrange Road in Orland Park
- Creative Cakes, 16649 Oak Park Ave. in Tinley Park
- Zettlmeier's Bakerei, 17016 Oak Park Ave, Tinley Park