Invite a friend
Join CineVerse, Oak Lawn's one and only film discussion group
Initiated in June 2005 and headed by founder/moderator Erik Martin, CineVerse is a free weekly film discussion group that explores the universe of cinema. We meet every Wednesday from 7-10 p.m. in Oak Lawn, Ill. at Oak View Center (4625 W. 110th St.) in the theater or the room announced on building signage.
At every meeting, we discuss a different movie, chosen by our regularly attending members on a rotating basis. We watch all kinds of films worthy of discussion, including:
- Classic films from the golden age of Hollywood
- Silent movies
- Foreign films from countries around the world (with English subtitles)
- Contemporary features
- Independent pictures
- Acclaimed documentaries
- Genre films (horror, western, film noir, sci-fi, romance, etc.)
Each meeting starts promptly with a movie screening. After a short break, the group reconvenes for discussion, during which time each attendee has a chance to speak about what they liked/disliked about the film. With any time remaining, the moderator engages the group with prepared quesions intended to spur more thorough analysis and healthy debate about the movie's merits. Topics commonly discussed include:
- The cultural and historical significance of the film in the context of its year of original release and today
- Ways the film may be innovative, pioneering and influential
- The filmmaker's style and intentions
- Symbolism, motifs and themes identified
- Technical and artistic merits: cinematography, framing and composition, editing methods, acting style, musical score, etc.
Occasionally, the group engages in movie trivia games (for DVD prizes), outings to films shown elsewhere, and other special events.
CineVerse is open to anyone 17 years and older. To join our group or for more info, e-mail Erik the founder/moderator at firstname.lastname@example.org; to learn more about CineVerse or check out our current weekly schedule, visit our Web site at www.cineversegroup.blogspot.com. To hear a prerecorded listing of the current month's CineVerse schedule, phone 708-529-9028. To read an article about CineVerse, click here.