The fourth annual Live Like John Softball Tournament will take place on Saturday, June 14 from 9 am – 6 pm at St. Rita High School, offering a day of free family fun and entertainment, all for an incredible cause.
The Live Like John Softball Tournament raises funds for The John McNicholas Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation, whose mission is to find better treatment and ultimately a cure for brain cancer in children.
The day will kick-off on Saturday at 10 a.m. with opening remarks and the ceremonial first pitch of the tournament. In all, 32 softball teams will compete, with participants aged high school and above. Teams have been actively fundraising and raising money for the Live Like John Softball Tournament for the last several months. Last year’s event raised more than $80,000 for the research of pediatric brain tumors.
In addition to softball, a wide variety of activities and games will take place throughout the day. At the Kid’s Corner, activities for children of all ages will be offered, including face painting, bounce houses, games and crafts. Favorite local band Cloud of Shame will provide live entertainment for guests from 2 pm – 6 pm. Food and beverages will also be available for purchase.
And, incredible “wheel” prizes will be given away, including:
- Four, all-inclusive White Sox scout seats (located in the 5th row behind home plate; includes drinks and buffet) with two parking passes;
- Five all-inclusive tickets and two parking passes to the Chicago Cubs vs. Tampa Bay Rays game on August 10;
- Tickets to see Beyonce with limousine service;
- An overnight escape to the Ritz Carlton Chicago with breakfast, spa services and a Lettuce Entertain You gift card;
- Spa services gift certificate to the Peninsula Hotel, with lunch at the Pierrot Gourmet;
- Nordstrom gift card; four, 100-level Chicago Blackhawks tickets for a game during the 2014-2015 season.
John McNicholas was a freshman baseball player at St. Rita High School when he was diagnosed with a pediatric brain tumor at the age of 15. John died within nine months of being diagnosed. Since his death in 2011, John’s parents, Ed and Amy McNicholas, who are residents of the Beverly community, established the John McNicholas Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation in his memory.
The Foundation began with a sole goal: to eradicate pediatric brain tumors. Since its inception, The John McNicholas Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation has focused on raising and providing funds to researchers and organizations who share in the goal of eradicating pediatric brain tumors forever.
The Live Like John Softball Tournament is the foundation's largest fundraising event of the year. Monies raised through the Live Like John Softball Tournament and other events helps to fund a High Grade Glioma Scholarship award the Foundation presents each year to one scholar or scientist who is making strides in the research and cure of pediatric brain tumors.
Beverly Bank is the event sponsor of the 2014 Live Like John Softball Tournament.