Which hospitals in the Chicago-area should be considered "the best?"
U.S. News & World Reports has weighed in on the best hospitals in the nation — as well as the region — in its 2014-15 rankings released Tuesday.
"The 2014-15 rankings cover nearly 5,000 medical centers across the country and span 16 medical specialties from cancer to urology," according to U.S. News & World Report.
Only 17 hospitals made this year's list, including Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago, which was ranked No. 10 in the nation and No. 1 in the Chicago area.
The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., received a No. 1 ranking while Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston was ranked as the No. 2 best hospital in the nation.
U.S. News & World Report chose 41 of 118 hospitals in the Chicago metropolitan area as top-ranking. Here is a look at its top hospitals:
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago
- Rush University Medical Center in Chicago
- Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn
- Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood
- St. Alexius Medical Center in Hoffman Estates
- University of Chicago Medical Center in Chicago
- Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge and Alexian Brothers Medical Center in Elk Grove Village
- Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center in Chicago
- Cadence Health-Central DuPage Hospital in Winfield
- NorthShore Evanston Hospital in Evanston
See the full rankings on the U.S. News & World Report website