We don't buy into the old adage that thieves only break into locked cars, so you might not leave anything of value inside your car and not lock your doors. We learned the hard way that it doesn't work after someone unsuccessfully tried to hot wire our 1985 Ford Escort (not in Oak Lawn).
The would-be thief didn't steal the car, but did manage to disconnect the speedometer, gas gauge and horn.
If you are going to leave your vehicle's doors' unlocked, at least take your wallet, purse, lap tops, GPS and golf clubs inside the house or office with you.
Here's the tally from the most recent Oak Lawn Police reports:
- 11 out of the 14 cars were unlocked; two victims said they couldn't remember if they had locked their car doors; and there were no signs of forced entry in one of the reported break-ins.
- During the overnight hours of Oct. 1, three vehicle break-ins were reported.
- Two break-ins were reported on Oct. 3.
- Six vehicles were reported robbed on Oct. 4-5.
- Car burglaries were also reported on the days of Oct. 6, Oct. 9, and Oct. 10.