A burning candle is believed to have caused a fire that damaged an apartment unit and sent a woman with minor burns to the hospital on Monday afternoon.
Oak Lawn firefighters were called to the 10400 block South Massasoit Avenue around 12:48 p.m. When they arrived they found heavy smoke and fire showing from a second floor unit.
“They did an excellent job knocking out the fire,” Oak Lawn Fire Chief George Sheets said.
A woman suffered minor burns and was transported to Advocate Christ Medical Center.
The fire left the unit uninhabitable and preliminary investigation centered on a candle that was burning unattended in a room.
Sheets said that other units in the building sustained minor smoke damage but were still habitable.
“I just want to remind everyone to be careful of using candles and other combustibles,” the fire chief said.