.

Woman Suffers Minor Burns in Oak Lawn Apartment Fire

Preliminary investigation centers on candle that heavily damaged unit in apartment building.

Oak Lawn firefighters and other responding companies fight a fire in the 10400 block of Massasoit on Monday afternoon. | OLFD
Oak Lawn firefighters and other responding companies fight a fire in the 10400 block of Massasoit on Monday afternoon. | OLFD

A burning candle is believed to have caused a fire that damaged an apartment unit and sent a woman with minor burns to the hospital on Monday afternoon.

Oak Lawn firefighters were called to the 10400 block South Massasoit Avenue around 12:48 p.m. When they arrived they found heavy smoke and fire showing from a second floor unit.

“They did an excellent job knocking out the fire,” Oak Lawn Fire Chief George Sheets said.

A woman suffered minor burns and was transported to Advocate Christ Medical Center.

The fire left the unit uninhabitable and preliminary investigation centered on a candle that was burning unattended in a room.

Sheets said that other units in the building sustained minor smoke damage but were still habitable.

“I just want to remind everyone to be careful of using candles and other combustibles,” the fire chief said.

fred February 13, 2014 at 11:25 PM
another good job by olfd.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »