Harold L. Richards High School
Harold L. Richards High School is one of five public secondary schools in District 218. The school draws students from Oak Lawn south of 99th Street, as well as Chicago Ridge, Calumet Park and Robbins.
Home of the Bulldogs, Richards offers a competitive education for both college- and workforce-bound students. Richards offers a full menu of elective and computer-enhanced education classes to prepare students for 21st century careers.
In addition, Richards offers a wide range of vocational, technical and industrial technology classes that allow students to earn college credit at Moraine Valley Community College.
- Hours: Mon - Fri, 8am -3:15pm
- Handicap Accessible: The building is ADA-compliant, and includes an elevator to upper levels and wheelchair ramps at the entry doors.
- Founding Date: Aug 01 1965
- Number of students: 1640
- Male-to-female ratio: 50-50
- Public/Private: Public
- Financial aid: No
- Acceptance rate (%): 100
- Graduation rate (%): 90
- Accreditation/licenses: Illinois State Board of Education accredited; faculty is Illinois-certified
- Student-to-teacher ratio: 18-1
- Parking: Free lot
- Number of faculty: 108
- How engaged is the school with the community?: Fundraisers, food, clothing and blood drives, service organizations
- Grade levels: 9-12
- Boarding: No
- Special education: Yes
- Uniforms: No
- Features: Auditorium/stage, Cafeteria, Computer lab, Infirmary, Language lab, Library, Science lab, Sports facilities
- Advanced placement courses: Twenty AP classes, including biology, chemistry, physics, calculus, English, economics, philosophy, psychology, government, U.S. history
- Extracurricular activities available: Sports, arts, drama and speech, music, math, sciences, technology, foreign language, service organizations
- Student clubs: Art, yearbook, newspaper, aviation, bowling, robotics, choir, band, orchestra, Mathletes, literary magazine, peer mediation, Teen Court, Scholastic Bowl, French club, environmental club, Tri-M, more
- Sports teams: Football (boys), basketball (boys and girls), softball (girls), baseball (boys), soccer, tennis, golf, cross country, track and field