Southwest Chicago Christian Schools
Southwest Chicago Christian Schools was founded in 1900. The school offers private elementary and secondary education at three campuses, including Chicago Christian High School in Tinley Park and two elementary schools in Tinley Park and Oak Lawn.
The Oak Lawn campus, like its sister schools in Tinley Park, offers a Christ-centered education from the Reformed understanding of the Christian faith. The schools are run by parents, who serve on the school organization's board of directors.
Southwest Chicago Christian Schools provide a Christ-centered learning community intent on "restoring God's word." Students are provided a high-quality education in the reformed tradition that "emphasizes the Lordship of Jesus Christ over all life. It prepares students spiritually, socially, academically and physically to serve society effectively and glorify God by honoring Him in all aspects of life," the school's mission statement reads.
Tuition assistance is available to families that qualify. At least one parent must be able to express to a living faith in Jesus Christ. Families need not attend a Reformed home church to send their children to Southwest Chicago Christian.
The Oak Lawn campus attracts a diverse student population including those who need special services. It provides bus service as well as before- and after-school care.
The Oak Lawn campus is located in two attractive school buildings. It offers a broad educational program including Bible, art, music, computer, physical education as well as co-curricular activities.
- Hours: Mon - Fri, 8:25am - 3:15pm; Sat, Sun, closed. Extended care: Mon - Fri, 7am - 6pm
- Handicap Accessible: Stairlift to second floor; ADA-compliant buildings and restrooms.
- Founding Date: 1900
- Number of students: 230
- Male-to-female ratio: 50-50
- Public/Private: Private
- Financial aid: Yes
- Religious affiliation: Reformed Christian
- Acceptance rate (%): 100
- Graduation rate (%): 100
- Accreditation/licenses: National Association of Private Schools, Illinois State Board of Education recognizing, Illinois-certified teachers.
- Student-to-teacher ratio: 23-1
- Parking: Free lot
- Number of faculty: 24
- How engaged is the school with the community?: Students host an annual food and toy drive during Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- Montessori: No
- Grade levels: PreK-8
- Special education: Yes
- Features: Auditorium/stage, Computer lab, Library, Science lab, Sports facilities
- Extracurricular activities available: Band, choir, Spanish, art
- Sports teams: Boys and girls volleyball, cross-country, soccer, basketball, track and field
- Student clubs: Yearbook, student senate, annual play