St. Germaine Catholic School
"Enlightening minds, enriching lives" is the motto of this pre-K to eighth grade Catholic elementary school. St. Germaine is the parish school of St. Germaine Catholic Church. The school is closely connected with the parish, connecting students to their Catholic faith and encouraging them to live out the Gospel values of Christ.
St. Germaine's takes a unique "whole child" approach to education, meeting each student where he or she is at academically. Success is a big part of the rigorous academic program. For struggling students, attainable goals are set to build academic confidence and instill a love of learning. The bar for success is set higher for more advanced students to keep them challenged and engaged in learning.
The school does not believe in letter grades on report cards; rather areas of curriculum are broken down to give parents a better understanding of their child's skill levels, identify weaknesses and build on strengths. Parents are able to understand all aspects of how their child processes reading and math.
St. Germaine's offers tuition assistance through a matching grant program. Families may also apply for a free or reduced lunch program.
There is a resource room operated by the assistant principal offering remedial assistance to children in various subject areas. Spanish, music and other enrichment programs are also offered. The school facilities are attractive and well equipped with a state-of-the art computer lab and superior gymnasium facility.
Local police and firefighters frequently stop by the school to educate students about drug prevention and fire safety. The Farm Bureau also brings animals to the school to teach students about farm animals.
Older students mentor younger students, reading books and parables to those in lower grades. Many subjects are hands on; students make erupting volcanoes in science class and meet local elected officials to better understand how government works. St. Germaine students regularly engage in community service projects, such as making cards for seniors in local nursing homes or packing and delivering lunches to the homeless.
There are several parent organizations that provide for parental involvement. The school holds an annual summer picnic with children's activities and entertainment for adults. A "parents night out" offers parents opportunities to engage with others in the St. Germaine community.
In 2007, St. Germaine was selected by the U.S. Department of Education as a National Blue Ribbon School. The award was based on Terra Nova test scores that placed St. Germaine students in the top 10 percent of schools across the country.
- Hours: Mon - Fri, 8am - 3:30pm.
- Handicap Accessible: Entry ramps from parking lot; no steps into the building on first floor and elevator to the second floor
- Founding Date: Aug 01 1964
- Number of students: 305
- Male-to-female ratio: 50-50
- Public/Private: Private
- Financial aid: Yes
- Religious affiliation: Roman Cahtolic
- Acceptance rate (%): 100
- Graduation rate (%): 100
- Accreditation/licenses: National Catholic Educational Association and Illinois State Board of Education accredited. All teachers are Illinois-certified. St. Germaine's is a Chicago Catholic Archdiocese school.
- Student-to-teacher ratio: 23-1
- Parking: Free lot
- Number of faculty: 17 full-time faculty; six part-time faculty
- How engaged is the school with the community?: Most students are very engaged in the St. Germaine Parish. Students participate in a recycling team, confirmation classes and community service projects.
- Montessori: No
- Grade levels: PreK - 8
- Special education: No
- Features: Auditorium/stage, Cafeteria, Computer lab, Library, Science lab, Sports facilities
- Extracurricular activities available: Spanish, after-school volunteer program, band, choirs and athletic programs.
- Sports teams: Soccer (all grades), basketball, volleyball and football. Sports team participation is offered to boys and girls, with the exception of upper grade boys football. There is also a girls cheerleader team.
- Student clubs: Recycling Team, band, choir, cheerleading (girls)